Today we talk denim. As some of you know, I worked in denim for a hot second. My career was long enough to give me a fresh perspective on fabrics, cuts, and hardware, and short enough for me stay curious. Which then lead me to an eternal quest for the perfect denim pieces for the minimal girls' wardrobe.
A couple months ago, I approached AG to work on a project with them. It was their choice of model for the ad campaigns (Daria Werbowy), hospitality of Nobu sushi at their tradeshow booth, and quality of products that had me drooling to work with them. I'm definitely not discounting all the other denim brands that are killing right now, but there is a well-rounded appeal that I immediately related to with AG.
Slight tangent, have you guys seen how amazing Alexa Chung's collaboration turned out with AG? I had mix emotions of obsession and utter jealousy. As in, I wish I thought of it first. But that sounds bigoted of me - I happily got two pieces from her line. Pictures coming soon.
So I wanted to do something special for AG. Curate my selection of what I believe to be their absolute, must-have pieces. Wherever you get your denim, here are my universal tips for the perfect pieces:
- 1 washed, 1 raw, 1 black, 1 jacket, 2 dresses, 1 skirt
- 1 high rise, 1 baggy low-rise, 1 cropped (mix and match how you like. Below is how I arranged it)
- Must: 9.5-10" front-rise high-waisted medium washed skinny jeans
- Get: Rinsed-selvedge boyfriend low-rise jeans
- Must: Black ankle cropped jeans (not pictured)
- Get: A washed out denim jacket two sizes bigger
- Fabrics: Try not to go stretchier than a 98co/2e. Wear 100co if you can deal with the stiffness.
- Washing: Go as long as you can without washing your jeans - if you do, do it in cold water, inside-out, and low heat drying to air dry.
- Fit: Smaller pockets = better ass
- Wash: Keep it simple. Easy whiskering to none at all. Destruction should look effortless and accidental.
- Fit: I might have shedded some bloat from not drinking this month, but that lead me to size down on the pants I'm wearing.
Also styled: NY hat from some vendor, Fucking Awesome Chloe skate deck, pink bandeau from the depths of my closet, thrifted lace top, Zara fringe skirt, Dodger's shirt from the stadium, long cardigan from Growze.